Saturday, December 05, 2009

Il Trittico & The Abduction from the Seraglio

Sept 2009 was the time for Operas. 2 operas in 2 days - a bit overwhelming? Not really. It was a welcome break from craziness elsewhere.


Abduction from Seraglio was visually stunning and the soprano had a wonderful tenor. The rendition was fabulous. The only opera that I didnt like this year was Il Travatore.

Il Trittico was very unique in that it combined 3 different parts into a single opera, each one of them could have been an entire opera on its own, but this Puccini trio didnt disappoint. Its been 3 months since I saw this opera, but I still vividly remember it. [Well, I remember Il Travatore as well - which was more comical for its rendition and my rating of that was way down - so, my memory of operas, I guess, doesnt say much about the quality of the opera. Notoriety is, afterall, a double-edged sword.] All the three acts were excellent; I didnt really understand why it was all combined into one story, but I guess there must be a good reason... Note to self - research that aspect of Il Trittico.

I do want to watch the Wagner's Die Walkure beginning of next year. Until then, I will have time to muse about the 3 operas I saw this year.

No comments: